OBU One is a GPS device for vehicles over 3.5 tons, certified and approved by NUSZ – the Hungarian road authority.
Instead of using fixed route tickets, you can pay the road toll in Hungary automatically, by using the OBU One device.
Benefits of OBU Self-Install:
- 24-month warranty period, without a minimum contract period
- free assistance for setting up your Hu-Go account
- SIM data with FREE roaming for life
- call center 24/24
- possibility to upgrade services
- easy installation process (do-it-yourself manual available)
Benefits of OBU Check Service:
- allows access to current vehicle positions at the lowest price on the market
- current vehicle positions can be accessed any time, when the vehicle is in Hungary or in other EU countries
- you can check if there are any errors regarding your vehicles’ registration for the Hu-Go tax payment (verification of OBU PIN and OBU ID, whether the vehicle is registered in the Hu-Go account or not, whether it is monitored or not)
- a support request can be quickly issued directly from the application, to the Hu-Go support team
The OBU One device can also be used for the GPS monitoring of vehicles, by generating activity reports: travel sheets, daily sheets, journeys, trajectories, fuel consumption. These services are not included in the final price, but they can be purchased separately with prices starting from 5 euros/month.
Here’s an example of how international transport companies use OBU One for GPS monitoring.
Types of OBU:
Installation and Configuration
Installation and Configuration
OBU Self-Install can be self-installed by following the steps below:
Step 1 – Know your device
Step 2 – Pinout
Pin 1 – VCC (10 – 30) V DC (+) – Red – Power supply (+10 – 30 V DC)
Pin 2 – GND (-) – Black – Ground
Step 3 – Installation recommendations
- Device fastening
- Locate the battery in your vehicle. If present, remove the battery cover to access battery terminals.
- There is a double sided tape on the back of the device (Figure 3), use it to attach the device on the battery, so that the GNSS antenna and LED indicators are facing up (Figure 4).
- Connecting power wire (red)
- Device power wire is designed to be directly connected to the positive terminal fastener of the vehicle battery (Figure 4).
- Connecting ground wire (black)
- Device ground wire is designed to be directly connected to the negative terminal fastener of the vehicle battery (Figure 4).
- Wait until device LED indicators start blinking.
- NAVIGATION LED INDICATIONS
- Permanently switched on = GNSS signal is not received
- Blinking every second = Normal mode, GNSS is working
- LED off = GNSS is turned off because device is not working or device is in sleeping mode
- Blinking fast constantly = Device firmware is being flashed
- STATUS LED INDICATIONS
- Blinking every second = Normal mode
- Blinking every two seconds = Sleep mode
- Blinking fast for a short time = Modem activity
- LED off = Device is not working or Device is in boot mode
- If the LED indicators are blinking properly, the device installation is complete.
Step 4 – Testing your device
After purchasing the OBU, it requires physical installation on the vehicle. Immediately after the installation it is necessary to contact our technical support for testing purposes at one of the following telephone numbers:
*working hours: Monday to Friday between 08:00 and 17:00 CET
This operation generates an OBU ID and OBU Pin, which you can request either by phone when confirming the tests by the SafeFleet operator, or by email from the dedicated Hu-Go support department (same work schedule), by sending the company name and license plate for which the OBU credentials are desired. The Hu-Go support email address is:
Step 5 – HU-GO portal
In order to be able to pay the Hungarian toll automatically, the vehicle must be registered in your Hu-Go account (on the portal of the Hungarian road authority), also the device must be registered on this portal, more precisely assigned to the vehicle. The address of the Hungarian portal (also allows interaction in English for easier use) is: hu-go.hu .
If you do not have a Hu-Go account and have not interacted with the Hungarian portal so far, you will need to create an account and we highly recommend you read the following sections (useful resources from the Hungarian road authority) to better understand this system:
Hungarian E-Toll Guide
Tutorial for connecting a vehicle on the HU-GO platform
If you already have the account and you are familiar with it, then if you have neither the vehicle nor the device registered on the portal, they need to be registered in the “Vehicles” section and at the bottom of the page on the right, click on “New” and enter the vehicle related data, upload the scanned vehicle registration certificate and enter the OBU credentials (OBU ID and OBU Pin) obtained from us. If you already have the vehicle registered but do not have the assigned device, the association is made in the menu “Vehicles attached to this account”, and next to the registration number, on the right, click on “Attach OBU” and enter the OBU ID and OBU Pin and click “Save”.
Step 6 – Using your device
The Hungarian tolling system is a pre-pay one, so there must be sufficient funds in the Hu-Go account before crossing Hungarian road sections. Thus, before the vehicle enters Hungary, your Hu-Go account must be toped-up (have the necessary / sufficient funds for the transit). You can topup directly from the hu-go account with a credit or debit card (secured by the bank and approved for online transactions), in which case the balance will be updated instantly. Also you can topup via a bank transfer (PO), you have the necessary transfer information in the hu-go account in the “Balance topup” section, in which case the balance update can take up to 3 working days and transfer fees may apply.
The topup can also be made by the driver in the gas stations with Hu-Go POS, even by paying with Shell, DKW, UTA, Eurowag card, in the afferent gas stations. A driver can also topup for a colleague by providing the OBU ID and related personal account (the string of numbers starting with 2 in your hu-go account in the “personal accounts” section).
Attention / Example: If there is no balance and the driver enters at Nickelsdorf and stops after customs at 7 km to the point where he can buy the vignette and/or topup the account, he is liable to a fine because in those 7 km there is a gate that takes a picture of the vehicle and at that time it did not have a valid vignette – so a crucial element is to topup the account in advance (before the vehicle enters Hungary).
You have in the HU-GO account in the section “Account administration” the possibility to set balance notifications by email and SMS, if for example you set 20000 HUF, every time the balance drops below this amount you will be notified by SMS and email – this is a useful feature that helps you avoid unpleasant situations of running out of funds and possible fines.
Step 7 – Support
Any questions or concerns you may have, please contact us at email@example.com.
The OBU devices registered on the Hu-Go portal are monitored by us, and in the event of technical issues (improper functioning / offline devices), you must neither stop the vehicle nor buy the road tax yourself manually. The vehicle can still travel / transit without issues, and we will send you on the official email registered on the Hungarian platform exactly the steps to be taken to remedy / solve the respective cases. So you need to pay close attention and promptness to emails from firstname.lastname@example.org
Any changes you make, such as changing the registration number (the license plate), selling the vehicle, moving OBU devices from one vehicle to another, uninstalling devices and so on, these often involve taking specific actions on the Hu-Go account so the automatic payment can take place properly, so in case of such changes send us the change on email@example.com and we will come back to you with the steps you need to follow on your Hu-Go account to insure proper payment.
Please also read our terms and conditions for using the service. These are public, can change periodically and can be consulted at any time on our website at the following link: https://obu1.eu/terms-and-conditions/